New Haven, Connecticut — The former head of the New Haven Police Department has been arrested on charges alleging he stole tens of thousands of dollars from city-controlled accounts.
Karl Jacobson, who stepped down as police chief in January, turned himself in Friday on an arrest warrant and was later released after posting a $150,000 court-set bond. Prosecutors say he faces two counts of larceny tied to the alleged theft of approximately $85,000 in public funds.
Allegations Involve Two City Funds
According to the State’s Attorney’s Office, investigators determined that $81,500 was unaccounted for or misappropriated from the department’s Narcotic Enforcement Program Fund between Jan. 1, 2024, and Jan. 5, 2026.
That fund is used to pay confidential informants assisting in narcotics investigations.
Prosecutors allege that department-issued checks were deposited directly into Jacobson’s personal checking account.
In addition, authorities said two checks totaling $4,000 were allegedly taken from the New Haven Police Activity League Fund in December 2025 — money intended to support youth programs.
“An allegation of embezzlement by a police official is a serious matter and potentially undermines public confidence in the criminal justice system,” said Patrick J. Griffin in a statement.
Mayor Calls Allegations ‘Shocking’
Justin Elicker described the accusations as “shocking” during a news conference.
Elicker said that when the issue first surfaced, Jacobson allegedly admitted to taking $10,000 from one account, but investigators later uncovered a significantly larger amount.
“We didn’t know how deep this went,” the mayor said, adding that the arrest warrant referenced alleged gambling problems.
“It’s a very sad day for the city to see a chief, who was beloved by so many people, arrested for a theft of public money and also money that was intended for children.”
Last month, Elicker announced Jacobson’s retirement, stating that the former chief had acknowledged taking funds for personal use after being confronted by three deputy chiefs over financial irregularities.
Defense Urges Patience
Jacobson’s attorney, Gregory Cerritelli, released a statement cautioning against premature conclusions.
“An arrest is not evidence of guilt and allegations are not proof,” Cerritelli said. “This is the beginning of a very long process. I urge everyone to keep an open mind and avoid a rush to judgment.”
Read Also: Model Arrested in Alleged $1 Million Designer Heist at SoHo Boutique
Longtime Member of the Department
Jacobson served with the department for 15 years and spent three years as police chief before stepping down earlier this year. The case now moves forward in Connecticut’s court system as prosecutors pursue the larceny charges.
The allegations have sparked concern in New Haven, where public trust in law enforcement leadership is now under scrutiny.
What are your thoughts on accountability and oversight when it comes to public officials? Share respectfully in the comments below.

by