Curlers focus on sport not status

The curling club practices and plays many of its matches at The Country Club in Chestnut Hill.

The definition of a sport can vary for students. For some, it means playing on an official team at the high school. For others, it simply signifies participating in a club that plays a sport.

Members of the curling club are quick to tell you that they consider themselves a sport but are more hesitant about whether or not they want to become an official team of the school.

First off, the curling club does not parallel any season in particular. The closest season it follows, however, is winter.

“Generally, it starts early November and ends in late February, but this year, it started after Thanksgiving and ends March 1,” said senior Matt Greene, captain of the curling club.

Members of the curling club are split up into separate teams and compete with each other and other curling teams in Brookline.

These teams are formed based on which days certain people can make it to practice, according to Greene.

Junior Amalia Safer said she enjoys the flexibility in the practices that could not occur if the curling club became an official sport.

“We get to choose our own days. I personally only have time to go one day a week, so I go on Mondays and it goes from right after school to about 5 p.m.,” she said.

This flexibility provides another advantage: the ability for students to play multiple winter sports.

According to Greene, if the curling club became an official winter sport, students who already participate in a winter sport could not do curling as well. This would ultimately decrease the number of athletes in the club, as there have been and are quite a few members who do winter sports.

“I know two years ago, we had a senior who curled and was also on the ski team. Last year, we had someone who played hockey and was in the curling club,” said Green. “Without it being a club, people would not be able to double up.”

For those who participate in the curling club and do not do a winter sport, obtaining health and fitness credits is a top priority.

“We want it to become easier to get a sports credit,” said junior Rebecca Krane. “But right now, it is sort of difficult.”

According to Greene, members must complete a certain number of hours in order to receive a health and fitness credit.

In order for the curling club to become an official team at the high school, Athletic Director Pete Rittenburg said that a specific procedure has to take place.

“Ultimately, any proposed program expansion involving budget must go through a multi-level process of approval,” he said.

Despite the fact that the curling club may not be an official sport, Greene says that winning The Country Club Cup for the third year demonstrates the club’s true determination.

Juvan Bonni can be contacted at [email protected]