Gallery: Students’ prizewinning artwork from the Boston Globe Scholastic Art Awards

Visual arts students had the chance to enter the Boston Globe Scholastic Art Awards competition. According to the visual arts department, the Gold Key winners’ work will move on to New York for the National Gold Medal competition. The gallery below showcases the works of both winners and honorable mentions.

• "I wanted this to double as a present for my dad and my stepmom. So it was a double appreciation for her being an adorable two year old toddler and also for my dad and stepmom, who are great," sophomore Pariah Reich said. Reich won an honorable mention award for this painting.

• "I cut out a bunch of small silver circles and I soldiered them all together in sort of an organic shape. I didn't really have a plan but I just went along as I went. After I was all done creating this large plate of metal I bent it into the shape of a collar for the finishing touches," junior Isabel Cole said. The necklace, pictured above, won Cole a Gold Key prize.

• "Having the bird in the foreground made it look much more 3D, which is different from most still life, which can look more cartoonish. In that photo, even though it was 2D, you can see the depth, and I wanted to take the challenge of conveying how it looked 3D through painting," freshman Basya Klein said. Klein won an honorable mention award for this painting.

• "It means a lot to me that other people can look at it and get some sort of emotion or message from it," junior Emma Staff said. Staff won a Gold Key for the jewelry pictured above.

• "Winning awards in contests used to be really important to me. In my first year I won something, so beforehand I think I thought winning would prove stuff, like maybe that my art wasn't just a hobby or that I was capable. In the end, I was pretty happy that I had awards and that I accomplished something, but I found out that awards don't determine your capability as an artist at all. All it means is that you should keep doing what you're doing, and to not slow down," freshman Xueyan Mu said. Mu got a Gold Key for the painting she submitted.

• "I think it really depends on the judges a lot, they heavily judge you on uniqueness and they look for your mastery of the basics, like have you got the basics down for your category, so if you turn in something that is really unique but not necessarily refined, then that could definitely bring you down," junior Bertina Xue said. Xue won an honorable mention for Glass and Ceramics.