Girls basketball beats Dedham handily

Photo by Sascha Wolf-Sorokin / Sagamore staff The girls basketball team played well in all aspects of the game and emerged victorious in a 60-34 victory over Dedham on Jan. 26.

Sascha Wolf-Sorokin, Staff Writer

The girls varsity basketball team dominated their game on Tuesday, Jan. 26 against Dedham High School, winning 60-34.

The game started off with sophomore Maya Page scoring the first basket and giving Brookline a lead. The intensity of the game was evident with the sound of the players on the bench chanting “defense, defense” echoing through the entire gym.

Although the game started off quite close between both teams, Brookline managed to pull ahead and lead 18-10 at the end of the first quarter.

Sophomore Elizabeth Webler said she was proud of the way her team played.

“I feel like we played really strongly as a team,” Webler said. “We have been really focusing on our defense throughout the past couple of weeks and we knew that it had to be one of our main focuses today and we really focused on that and accomplished what our goal was.”

By the end of the first half, Brookline had pulled ahead with an even bigger lead of 29-14.

Freshman Serena Smith said that although she played well there are still things she plans to continue focusing on throughout the rest of the season.

“I hope that I can continue playing with the same intensity that I played with today,” Smith said. “And, to not let my frustration get the best of me.”

In the third quarter Brookline continued to dominate through their effective offense and solid transition game. In the last few seconds of the quarter Brookline scored a three pointer, bringing the score up to 48-25.

In the fourth and final quarter, Brookline pulled even farther ahead, earning themselves a win by 34 points over Dedham High School.

According to Webler, the team will take a lot of positives out of the win that they earned today.
“We had a few tough games already this season that we knew we could have won, but we just knew we had to come out strong and have a good intensity from the start and we did,” Webler said. “Winning really helped boost the morale of the team to the next level.”