New Post-Secret U display aims to increase mental health dialogue

The Post-Secret U display, which was installed on May 17 outside the MLK room, features student art about a secret they have never shared. ANI MATHISON/SAGAMORE STAFF

Ani Mathison, Assistant Photo Manager

BHS Active Minds is a new club that exists nationwide and is active in many colleges. The goal of the club is to destigmatize mental health, open up conversations about mental health and create a safe space to have those conversations.The 21st Century Fund granted the club money to put together the Post- Secret U project.

The project is based off a blog that was started by Frank Warren. Participants mail in postcards that include their secrets, which are then posted on the blog. Many are artistic and include funny or deep secrets. According to club advisor Kelly Sagar, the goal of the blog was to show that you are not alone.

The postcards were introduced in advisories and accompanied by a video explaining the project. Students could then submit their cards in lockboxes found near the cafeteria. The end result of the project is an art installation, currently in a display case near the MLK room, that includes many of the postcards that were sent in.

ANI MATHISON/SAGAMORE STAFF

According to Sagar, there have been many different kinds of submissions; some which were welcome, and others that were surprising to the club.

“We’ve had some really really great submissions, but at the same time… we’ve had some unfortunate instances where some things seem to be bullying, where people have been submitting postcards that are making comments about people, or signing other people’s names to them,” Sagar said.

The club will not be displaying these postcards, but want to make people aware that bullying occurs in the school.

Despite the unfortunate content of some of the postcards, Sagar said she was happy they were sent in.

“We came to the consensus that if things were happening in the world, it’s important to let people know. We might have a better chance of solving the problems if we know they’re happening, even if we can’t reach out to individual people,” Sagar said.