• April 24Class Of 2020 Parent/Caregiver's Meeting: Wednesday, May 3 from 7-8 pm in the Cafeteria

• April 24The Food Justice Club is hosting a food drive from April 26th to May 4th

Water polo team allows players to stay in shape

Marco Georgaklis, Breaking News Writing Editor

The water polo club looks to expand its 15 players into a full team by the end of the season. The team thanks their coaches for amazing advice throughout the process. GRAPHIC BY LEON YANG/ SAGAMORE STAFF

Squash, curling and fencing were all clubs before successfully transforming into official sports that offer formal coaching as well as a health and fitness credit. Now, many students have devoted their time and effort to create an opportunity for another sport, water polo.

Junior Brandon Chen recently started a water polo club and has successfully recruited 15 members. The club is now attempting its long but achievable journey to become an official club and eventually a high school sport.

The club began meeting this past summer and has had a few formal practices. According to senior Ben Thomas, the club has been relying on word of mouth for recruitment and has received positive reactions.

“People really like the idea. It’s a really good workout and especially in the fall. I know at the start of the school year people are trying to find new ways to get exercise so I think water polo is a great way for that,” Thomas said.

According to junior Hughie Mckenzie, the first practices have been successful with the help of experienced coaches.

“There were multiple coaches and they all played water polo in college. They had a good sense of what to do and how to run the practice,” Mckenzie said.

The club already has scrimmages set up against private schools and against the Boston University Water Polo Club. According to Thomas, they might face some difficulties because of their inexperience, but having players on the swim team helps.

“The team has a lot of swimmers on it which is very good,” Thomas said. “We are all very excited to play.”

According to Chen, the club’s biggest setback is their lack of money.

“Currently, we don’t have enough money to buy any equipment so we are $200 in debt,” Chen said.

Chen said that despite their lack of money, the club has been experiencing major success. According to Chen, the club has not yet recruited freshmen because it started in the summer, when the freshmen were not yet well known at the high school, but Chen hopes that freshmen will likely find out soon about the unique club and all it has to offer.

“It’s been pretty successful this year so far,” Chen said. “We have a pretty good mix of students in all age ranges. We have a bunch of sophomores, juniors and seniors.”

Thomas said the water polo club is a great sport alternative for those who want to be challenged yet have limited time in their schedules.

“I was worried about joining other fall sports because of the commitment they required, like a couple hours every day,” Thomas said.  “The water polo team offers a relaxed schedule while still putting in vigorous amounts of work.”