• April 24Class Of 2020 Parent/Caregiver's Meeting: Wednesday, May 3 from 7-8 pm in the Cafeteria

• April 24The Food Justice Club is hosting a food drive from April 26th to May 4th

Burden of anti-racism lies with students

A mural depicted several students as caricatures in the Schluntz Gymnasium, offensively portraying students of color in the image; a science presentation last year displayed the n-word on one of the slides; six hockey players on the high school team were suspended from playing for the rest of their season because of texts in a group chat that included racist remarks; a Kahoot game displayed sexist and racist nicknames including “I hate blacks.”

Each of these individually is shocking, but put together, these events are absolutely frightening. Incidents such as these as well as an overall climate of hostility have led students of color to speak out against racism at the high school.              

The administration does have a responsibility to respond to incidents such as these, and it is true that few students know what they have definitively done to combat racism in the school. Although it is not their duty to publicly scorn a student, it is reasonable to expect the administration to be more transparent in showing us what they are doing to fight racism.

We can argue back and forth with the administration about whether or not they are handling issues of race appropriately; students have said they need to do more and the administration says that they are following protocol. However, we should be much more concerned with the fact that our own students are the ones who are committing these vile acts of racism.

We, as the high school’s student body, cannot ignore that there are students who do think it is okay to write the n-word for an entire class to see, or who think it is funny to laugh at racist Kahoot nicknames. How many times will we “begin” a conversation on race with students? We cannot keep starting from square one. Now is the time to take definitive action.

Rather than solely condemning the administration, blame yourself. Blame the students of Brookline. Your job is to make sure people know that this behavior is unacceptable. It is your job to help create an environment where people know why they shouldn’t discriminate against their fellow students, condone racial microaggressions and perpetuate White privilege.

Because although you may be sitting somewhere in the high school right now thinking, “Well I didn’t do it,” or, “Well they should know better,” apparently they don’t, so it is your duty to tell them.

It is clear the high school is no exception to racial discrimination in this country. When you hear or see something racially insensitive, act. Tell the person that what they said was unacceptable. Tell an adult. Talk to and listen to the person who was targeted. Whatever you do, do something.

1 Comment

One Response to “Burden of anti-racism lies with students”

1. C. on June 5th, 2016 6:26 pm

I’m sorry, but you kids are a bunch of pussies.

Albeit, a mural showing black kids with puffy lips is an unfair caricature – but do you really
    expect us to believe that it is also an indication of systemic, cruel racism?

As for the other examples you have provided – teenagers can be too lose with their
    language, yet a few isolated cases of immature language is a weak proof for
    the student-wide “racism” you claim exists.

• Burden of anti-racism lies with students

Editorials

Free trade deals aid economy but hurt vulnerable individuals

Student clarifies the meaning of the headscarf/Hijab Tutorial

Editorials

Balanced media consumption can bridge ideological divide

Editorials

Editorial: Few regulations on charter schools allow them great independence

Editorials

Ballot question two supports corruption in charter schools

Editorials

Mainstream and SWS must strive for harmonious relationship

Editorials

Editorial: Conservative students deserve a voice

Editorials

Editorial: New suspension policy prioritizes learning

Editorials

Editorial: American gun policy requires basic reform

Editorials

A plea for mercy for marathon bomber