• April 24Class Of 2020 Parent/Caregiver's Meeting: Wednesday, May 3 from 7-8 pm in the Cafeteria

• April 24The Food Justice Club is hosting a food drive from April 26th to May 4th

Editorial: Conservative students deserve a voice

We in the high school community pride ourselves on how accepting we are. We make time to discuss important issues, including racism and sexism, and work to ensure that a diverse group of voices are heard that span age, race, class, gender and sexual orientation.

Yet, if a wide variety of opinions is our goal, we have failed at one very important aspect:  conservative viewpoints about issues are often ignored, and those who hold them, ostracized.

Many teachers espouse liberal opinions in class, without disclaiming them as opinions, and tell students who state the counterpoint that they are wrong, even when dealing with opinions rather than facts. Students are afraid to admit they are conservative because they think their peers may ridicule or ignore them because they are different.

The Sagamore has spent months trying to find writers who disagree with the majority liberal leanings at the high school. All those contacted were only willing to write anonymously because they feared retribution and other repercussions at the hands of their classmates.

However, things do not have to stay this way. Students with conservative ideology can feel accepted at the high school. Liberals must allow conservatives to state their points of view without fear of isolation or scorn.

The high school should take many of the same measures it has taken in ensuring that other minorities feel recognized at the high school. Teachers should not denigrate the beliefs of conservatives, and other students should be willing to engage in a respectful, multi-sided discussion. Respectful dissent should be encouraged and the dissenters appreciated.

A variety of opinions helps all sides learn more about important issues. In addition, it prompts discussion where productive disagreement can lead to potential compromise benefitting all sides. At a high school, where the goal is for students and teachers to learn, this is vitally important.

Our country is great because our wide range of social, political and economic ideologies work to create a place that strives to be accepting of all people. The high school community should not allow majority rule to belittle and diminish the point of view of the conservative minority.

The same way the hateful language that often permeates national discussions hurts all of America, entrenched liberal intolerance at the high school hinders the learning of all students. By opening up discussion to a wide range of ideas beyond just liberalism or conservatism, the high school will best teach its students while promoting an environment of acceptance.

If the high school is truly committed to respecting every student, we must move away from isolating our conservative peers. Instead, we must respect people with all opinions; by doing this, we will accomplish a safer environment for all students.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Editorial: Conservative students deserve a voice”

1. Anonymous on March 29th, 2016 5:49 pm

Been saying this for a while though I personally do not hold very many, if any conservative opinions. I simply hate Echo Chambers or when people call our after-assembly discussions “conversations”. Thanks to whoever wrote this!

2. Dan on March 29th, 2016 8:09 pm

So true. Conservatives in BHS are just slammed for being trump supporters.

3. Bella on March 31st, 2016 2:03 pm

Being a conservative isn’t the same as being a minority, and they do not suffer discrimination. It’s a false equivalency.

4. Evan on April 2nd, 2016 4:19 pm

When I espoused my conservative views in class, I definitely faced criticism, but it was also an opportunity to strengthen my own resolve and beliefs. It’s fun and interesting to disagree and have to fight for your opinions, that’s what makes America great. That being said, students (especially in Brookline) need to be cognizant of the fact that they will confront people in the real world who disagree with them entirely (oh no!). This culture of sheltering doesn’t get us anywhere.

• Editorial: Conservative students deserve a voice

Editorials

Free trade deals aid economy but hurt vulnerable individuals

Student clarifies the meaning of the headscarf/Hijab Tutorial

Editorials

Balanced media consumption can bridge ideological divide

Editorials

Editorial: Few regulations on charter schools allow them great independence

Editorials

Ballot question two supports corruption in charter schools

Editorials

Mainstream and SWS must strive for harmonious relationship

Editorials

Burden of anti-racism lies with students

Editorials

Editorial: New suspension policy prioritizes learning

Editorials

Editorial: American gun policy requires basic reform

Editorials

A plea for mercy for marathon bomber