• April 24Class Of 2020 Parent/Caregiver's Meeting: Wednesday, May 3 from 7-8 pm in the Cafeteria

• April 24The Food Justice Club is hosting a food drive from April 26th to May 4th

Jobs help students acquire important skills

Senior Phil Mahler poses by an airplane. Mahler says his experience working as a teenager has taught him important lessons. PHOTO PROVIDED BY PHIL MAHLER.

Phillip Mahler, Contributing Writer

Working at Otto’s Pizza in Coolidge Corner has taught me how to work with all types of people from different socioeconomic backgrounds to provide a good product. I have not only honed my cooking skills, but have learned what it takes to run a successful business.  I’ve learned that working with the public is not easy and sometimes it is necessary to remake pizzas in order to make the customer satisfied.  I’ve even learned how to let my ego go and not become frustrated when my manager criticized pizza I made. My employment has made me a very responsible team player, and has taught me a great deal about real life.  It has given me a good foundation to build upon.  

I started my first job the summer between 8th grade and freshman year. The main reason I started working was to earn money to begin flight lessons for my Private Pilot Certificate. I wanted the license because I have had a tremendous passion for aviation since I was a little kid, that seemed to grow exponentially as time went on.

As of last August I am pleased and proud to be a licensed pilot.  My journey to earning my initial certificate was a long and demanding process and at times quite frustrating.  I remember questioning myself throughout my training as I wondered whether this is what I really want to do as a career path. When I found it difficult to understand a concept or topic, I often found myself getting discouraged, but I pressed on by asking my instructors lots of questions in order to master the concepts and achieve my goal. My plan for the future is to earn additional certificates and ratings, and eventually fulfill my childhood dream of becoming a professional airline pilot. I will not be satisfied until I am at 35,000 feet burning Jet-A for a living.

My second passion is hospitality and business, which is what I plan to earn my college degree in. A hospitality degree is very fitting for a professional pilot. Pilots essentially provide a service of transporting passengers from one place to another as safely and efficiently as possible,  at the same time, pilots work with all different types of people who have a varying degree of knowledge and skill-sets.  Pilots fly in all types of conditions and are expected to do this with the highest level of professionalism and attention to detail, while making the passengers feel at ease and like they are at home.  

Now you may ask how does this tie into teenage employment?

I think working out of school is beneficial to all young people. Having steady work allows teens to earn their own money and become independent and responsible, while learning invaluable life skills by working alongside other employees.

My advice for anybody with ambitious goals is to study hard and network with people who are in the field or fields you are pursuing. Try to keep as focused as possible, but at the same time, try to enjoy what you are doing.  As the late Julia Child said, “find something you’re passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it!”